For Christmas, I got a new Panasonic blu-ray player model DMP-DB65K with access to online content via Viera Cast. Supported online content includes:
- Amazon Video on Demand
- Bloomberg Television
- Fox Sports (coming soon)
This is my first blu-ray player and I bought it to replace an aging DVD player in my bedroom connected to my new 42" Panasonic plasma 1080p TV. I have an Apple TV with access to online content, including, Netflix that I am very happy with which is connected to another TV in the family room. Since the Panasonic blu-ray player doesn't have built-in wi-fi support, I have it connected to my home network via a Linksys Powerline network kit.
In short, I'm very happy with the Panasonic blu-ray player. It's easy to use, has a wealth of features and I got it at a great price.
- I picked mine up for $80 via an online special on Dealnews (my favorite shopping site)
- Good selection of online content
- Nice remote control and integration with my Panasonic TV (automatic input switching)
- Easy to upgrade firmware (as soon as I plugged the unit it, it updated automatically)
- Easy setup to connect to Netflix, Amazon on Demand etc.
- Slow performance displaying network menus and switching between functions. Network playback however is fine
- No built-in wi-fi support
- Netflix support is limited to playing instant queue only (no browsing the entire catalog)