While the iPad is a great device, it continues to frustrate me with its strong dependencies to a PC/Mac:
- Activation. New iPads won't work out of the box without being activated. A new iPad needs to connect to a Mac or a PC using the supplied USB cable and iTunes must be installed and running.
- Software updates. When Apple releases a new software update (e.g. iOS 4.3) the upgrade is performed via iTunes with the iPad connected to the computer via USB
- Media transfer. Music, videos and pictures must be transfered via iTunes and the USB cable. In addition, Apple makes it difficult to sync with more than one computer. For example, I have a home computer with all my music, videos and pictures but I'd like to be able to sync with my work computer to sync apps, get software updates etc.
- At a minimum, sync over wi-fi and cut the USB cord
- A better solution to syncing with multiple computers
- The ability to update the iOS software over wi-fi